Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ham and Cheese Soup

Ham-A-Rama Recipe #2!

This recipe is one that we usually only have once a year, and thats at Halloween when my mother-in-law makes all of her amazingly yummy soups!  I remember the first time I had this soup, I couldn't stop thinking about how yummy it was and when we would get to eat it again.  That's when I decided I HAD to have this recipe so I could make this soup in times as special as Ham-A-Rama week! He he :)!  So my sweet mother-in-law was kind enough to share her recipe with me so I am going to be extra kind and share it with all of you!  

Recipe:
2 cups Potato (peeled and grated)
1 cup Carrot (peeled and grated small)
1/2 of an Onion (minced)
1/2 cup Celery (diced in to small pieces)
3 (14 oz) cans Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Water
2-3 cups of Ham (chopped into small pieces)
1/4 cup Butter (melted)
1/2 cup flour
1 quart Half & Half
1 pound of Velveeta Cheese (cut into small cubes)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot, bring the broth, water, potato, carrot, celery, onion, and ham to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes.  

After 30 minutes, whisk together the melted butter and flour and add it into the soup mixture. Next, stir in the half & half, salt and pepper, and the cubed velveeta cheese and stir over low heat till the cheese is melted and well incorporated. Serve in either a bread bowl or with rolls for dipping.

*Note: if you haven't already noticed from the list of ingredients, this recipe is super rich and now I know why we only have it once a year at Halloween.  I hope you enjoy!

(recipe source: My dear mother-in-law Teresa)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...