Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake

I came across this recipe awhile back and was intrigued by its ingredients. I am a major coconut fan, so when I noticed that it had a broiled coconut topping I was sold!  It called for oatmeal in the cake so I thought, why not give it a try, I mean it's got oatmeal in it, it has to be somewhat healthy, right.

I will be honest, this was not my favorite dessert, but maybe it's because it was slightly healthy? Ha ha no is that sad that I admitted that! And it's even sadder because it's not really that healthy! Anyways, I am posting this because even though it wasn't my favorite dessert, my husband and everyone else that tried it, LOVED IT! So I hope this cake makes one of you out there happy :)

Recipe:
For the Cake:
1-1/2 cup Quick cooking Rolled Oats
1-1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 whole Eggs
1-1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

For the Broiled Topping:
2/3 cup firmly packed Brown sugar
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup pecans (chopped)

In a small bowl combine the oats and the boiling water. Remove from heat and and let stand for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile heat the oven to *350 and lightly grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.  Add in the vanilla and eggs and blend well.  Add in the oatmeal and the remaining cake ingredients; mix well.  Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake @*350 for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

For the topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, and whipping cream. Beat at high speed until smooth. Stir in the coconut and the nuts. Spoon over the warm cake. spread to cover. 

Broil for 1-2 minutes, about 4-6 inches from the heat, and let broil till the topping is bubbly and light golden brown.  Cool for 1 hour or until completely cooled. 

(Recipe Source: Tasty Kitchen)



6 comments:

  1. How funny! This has been on my list to blog for about three weeks. But... I loved it! My husband did not love it but he didn't taste it until it was about two days old. It's delicious! Great choice for a post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so interesting - almost like a cross between a British flapjack and cake! We love oatmeal so I'm going to try this - thanks!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad they didn't turn out to be awesome. But the photos are so pretty and girly :) I wanted to invite you to stop by tomorrow(Wednesday) and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a good one.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popped over here from The Country Cook and w nted to tell you that it was a wonderful post! I'm so glad to meet you! Now that I am here I am admiring this oatmeal cake. I've never had it before which is a shame because it looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try out your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delishhh! I love oatmeal so I'll have to whip this one up over the weekend. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oatmeal cake is one of my all time favorites!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...