Monday, June 20, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

I hope you all had a wonderful Fathers Day weekend!  We enjoyed Fathers Day so much because we got to hang out with The Hubs ALL DAY on Sunday! He works so hard all week that it was nice to be able to just focus all day on him!  It was so nice! 
I attempted to be a good wife and make him homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast (which until then, I had never made homemade rolls before) but with this great and easy recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything they turned out great!  There really is nothing like waking up to the whole house smelling of cinnamon goodness and eating a warm and comforting cinnamon roll! :)




Recipe:
1 cup warm milk 
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour or regular flour (bread flour makes for a lighter cinnamon roll)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 pkg yeast (1/4 ounce)


Filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened


Icing:
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt


Microwave milk for 45-60 seconds in the microwave. Dissolve yeast in warm milk in a large bowl. Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour. Mix well. Knead dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour. Put in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size. *Our house is so cold I have a hard time getting things to rise. If I turn on the oven and then put the rolls on top of the stove, the oven generates enough heat for them to rise.


In a small bowl, thoroughly combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Spray surface with cooking spray or sprinkle flour on it. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread dough with 1/3 cup softened butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough starting with the longer side and cut into 12 rolls (or more smaller rolls). Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. *After this I would put them in the refrigerator for the next morning if you are doing them the night before.


Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on while they are still warm so that the frosting melts into the roll. 

(Recipe SourceThe Girl Who Ate Everything)

19 comments:

  1. Oooooh, this looks good! I bet he absolutely loved them! Nothing beats a homemade cinnamon roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love cinnamon rolls in the morning with a big glass of cold milk! I'll have to try your recipe. I make my dough in the bread machine.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLEASE could you come over and visit with some of these!! amazing!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my heavens these look so delicious. I love love love cinnamon rolls. I am anxious to try these for my family. Love you blog, I am following you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything better than a fresh cinnamon roll? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divine!...I vote you come make some for me to wake up to in the morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are being bookmarked! I have looked for a cinammon roll mix for a while but these might be "the" ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh Goodness gracious! These sound divine! I will have to make these soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks better than Cinnabon! More frosting which is my favorite part! These look amazing! I'd like to invite you to share your recipes on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving your blog. These cinnamon rolls look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They must have smelt wonderful! These look perfect! There is a wonderful french toast casserole recipe using cinnamon buns! You've got to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, that looks so good! I LOVE cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your cinnamon rolls on foodgawker and I fell in love! :)

    I'll try this recipe, it looks yummy!

    Losts of kisses from Spain!

    http://mysweetcarrotcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm throwing out my old cinnamon roll recipe and putting in this one instead. Husband and I LOVED them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...